Adithya Cattamanchi, MD
The major focus of my research program is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients with tuberculosis (TB). Each year, nearly 2 million of the 8 million estimated patients with TB worldwide are “missed”. The failure to diagnose TB rapidly and initiate treatment contributes to worse outcomes for patients and ongoing transmission of the disease in the community. To address this challenge, I have developed an innovative research program that spans the translational research spectrum. First, my group collaborates actively with basic scientists and engineers to identify novel biomarkers for TB screening and diagnosis and to develop point-of-care platforms for biomarker detection. Second, we conduct primary studies at field sites in Uganda and the Philippines and systematic reviews to support guideline development for TB diagnostics. We focus not only on diagnostic accuracy but also on evaluating the impact of new diagnostics on clinical decisions and patient outcomes. Third, we measure the quality of care delivered to patients with TB and use implementation science-based approaches to develop and test strategies to improve care delivery. Our expertise in this area has led to collaborations to study and improve care delivery for other lung health conditions (e.g., asthma, COPD) in domestic and international settings.
M.A.S. in Clinical Research, 2010 - Graduate Division (Advance Training in Clinical Research), University of California, San Francisco
M.D., 2003 - Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
Residency, - School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
- Brief Report: Yield and Efficiency of Intensified Tuberculosis Case-Finding Algorithms in 2 High-Risk HIV Subgroups in Uganda.
- Treatment of Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis. An Official ATS/CDC/ERS/IDSA Clinical Practice Guideline.
- Investigation of preanalytical variables impacting pathogen cell-free DNA in blood and urine.
- Guidance for Studies Evaluating the Accuracy of Tuberculosis Triage Tests.
- Accuracy and incremental yield of urine Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra versus Determine TB-LAM for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Improving the cascade of global tuberculosis care: moving from the "what" to the "how" of quality improvement.
- Home-based tuberculosis contact investigation in Uganda: a household randomised trial.
- Empiric treatment of pulmonary TB in the Xpert era: Correspondence of sputum culture, Xpert MTB/RIF, and clinical diagnoses.
- Feasibility of a short message service (SMS) intervention to deliver tuberculosis testing results in peri-urban and rural Uganda.
- A Novel, 5-Transcript, Whole-blood Gene-expression Signature for Tuberculosis Screening Among People Living With Human Immunodeficiency Virus.
- Feasibility of Direct Sputum Molecular Testing for Drug Resistance as Part of Tuberculosis Clinical Trials Eligibility Screening.
- Outcomes of empiric treatment for pediatric tuberculosis, Kampala, Uganda, 2010-2015.
- Quality of care for patients evaluated for tuberculosis in the context of Xpert MTB/RIF scale-up.
- Outlook for tuberculosis elimination in California: An individual-based stochastic model.
- Seasonality of childhood tuberculosis cases in Kampala, Uganda, 2010-2015.
- Point-of-care C-reactive protein and risk of early mortality among adults initiating antiretroviral therapy.
- Ultrasensitive detection of lipoarabinomannan with plasmonic grating biosensors in clinical samples of HIV negative patients with tuberculosis.
- Building a tuberculosis-free world: The Lancet Commission on tuberculosis.
- Diagnostic accuracy of TB-LAMP for pulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Moving Toward Tuberculosis Elimination: Critical Issues for Research in Diagnostics and Therapeutics for Tuberculosis Infection.
- Reply to: Implications of TB Sputum Culture Test Sensitivity on Accuracy of Other Diagnostic Modalities.
- Yield and Efficiency of Novel Intensified Tuberculosis Case-Finding Algorithms for People Living with HIV.
- Identifying Barriers to Physical Activity Among African American Women with Asthma.
- Identifying barriers to physical activity among African American women with asthma.
- Diagnostic performance of blood inflammatory markers for tuberculosis screening in people living with HIV.
- Effectiveness-implementation of COPD case finding and self-management action plans in low- and middle-income countries: global excellence in COPD outcomes (GECo) study protocol.
- 'Something so hard': a mixed-methods study of home sputum collection for tuberculosis contact investigation in Uganda.
- Association of Rapid Molecular Testing With Duration of Respiratory Isolation for Patients With Possible Tuberculosis in a US Hospital.
- Quality of care in childhood tuberculosis diagnosis at primary care clinics in Kampala, Uganda.
- Whole genome sequencing and single nucleotide polymorphisms in multi-drug resistant clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from the Philippines.
- Patterns of usage and preferences of users for tuberculosis-related text messages and voice calls in Uganda.
- The sixth vital sign: HIV status assessment and severe illness triage in Uganda.
- Diagnostic accuracy of C-reactive protein for active pulmonary tuberculosis: a meta-analysis.
- Feasibility of a streamlined tuberculosis diagnosis and treatment initiation strategy.
- Proceedings from the 9th annual conference on the science of dissemination and implementation.
- Treatment of non-cavitary pulmonary tuberculosis with shortened fluoroquinolone-based regimens: a meta-analysis.
- Higher cost of implementing Xpert(®) MTB/RIF in Ugandan peripheral settings: implications for cost-effectiveness.
- Evaluation of mobile digital light-emitting diode fluorescence microscopy in Hanoi, Viet Nam.
- Pathways and costs of care for patients with tuberculosis symptoms in rural Uganda.
- Quality of tuberculosis care in India: a systematic review.
- Impact of mycobacterial culture among HIV-infected adults with presumed TB in Uganda: a prospective cohort study.
- Identifying multidrug resistance in previously treated tuberculosis patients: a mixed-methods study in Cambodia.
- Impact of chronic renal failure on anti-tuberculosis treatment outcomes.
- Sex disparities in tuberculosis suspect evaluation: a cross-sectional analysis in rural Uganda.
- Chest radiographic findings of pulmonary tuberculosis in severely immunocompromised patients with the human immunodeficiency virus.
- Bronchoscopy is useful for diagnosing smear-negative tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients.
- Does bleach processing increase the accuracy of sputum smear microscopy for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis?
- Sensitivity and specificity of fluorescence microscopy for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting.
- A 13-year molecular epidemiological analysis of tuberculosis in San Francisco.